1. Walker Stores Pty Ltd (WSPL) is a major financier based in South Australia. We primarily finance consumer leases under the trading name ‘inRent’ for computers, A/V products (e.g. TVs and Hi-Fis) and furniture products. In addition we finance commercial leases under the trading name ‘inLease’. Our rental finance facilities are offered via selected retail stores throughout Australia.
2. At WSPL your privacy is important to us. This statement relates to all of the entities named in the Schedule at the end of this policy. This policy contains the following information:
5. We will be open and transparent about how we handle personal information. We will do this by:
7. We collect personal information for warranty purposes, service and installation and for considering, entering into and fulfilling rental agreements.
8. The personal information we collect may include identification information, names of referees or employers, financial information and your payment history with WSPL. Sometimes we collect this information through our selected agents. We require our agents to tell you if they are acting as our agent in a transaction. Our agents are under an obligation to protect your privacy when they deal with personal information on our behalf.
9 We may collect information from credit reporting bodies from time to time in connection with a rental agreement. We will advise you of this in the privacy form that you receive when you make an application to us for the relevant arrangement. The exchange of information with a credit reporting body is regulated by Part IIIA of the Privacy Act.
10. We keep personal information about individuals involved in the supply of goods and services to us. This information is used for purposes related to the acquisition of goods and services by us and is not used for any other purposes.
11. We keep information about current and former employees. This type of information will in most cases be exempt from the Australian Privacy Principles. We also keep personal information about persons who apply to us for employment (this information is not exempt). We do not use this information for any other purposes. We may use personal information to advise you of special offers and events that we make available to our customers. We respect your privacy and will give you the opportunity not to receive this information when we collect your details or on occasions when we send such material to you. We continue to be bound by the SPAM Act 2003 (Cth)and the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 (Cth) when we undertake direct marketing and we comply with the provisions of these Acts.
12. From time to time we may disclose credit information to a credit reporting body. Further details are given to you about this when you apply for a rental agreement. For further information about our credit reporting obligations please refer to our Credit Reporting Policy. You can obtain the latest version of our Credit Reporting Policy at www.inrent.com.au or by contacting our Privacy Officer.
13. We do not sell or disclose the personal information that we hold to any person outside WSPL for direct marketing by that other person. Personal information that we hold may be exchanged between different businesses within WSPL or to other related parties. This disclosure is permitted by the Privacy Act. Personal information that we hold may be disclosed to the agent that supplied goods to you. It may also be disclosed to agents or contractors who act on our behalf to collect debts or recover goods and to service contractors (such as electricians or refrigerator mechanics and companies that provide in-home service and support to our customers who help us to comply with our service and warranty obligations to you). Finally we may also disclose personal information to our solicitors and accountants. The identity of any of these people may change from time to time. We are not likely to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
14. We take active steps to protect the security of personal information, including authentWe take active steps to protect the security of personal information, including authentication of customers before disclosure of personal information. We expect our staff to comply with certain standards of behaviour when dealing with personal information. We train all our staff about the need to protect your privacy and we will regard breaches of the Australian Privacy Principles as serious matters. We keep personal information in both electronic and paper based records. Paper based records are kept on secure premises away from the general public. Our electronic records are kept in a secure system with password protection and restricted access both internally and from external sources. We may keep personal information for up to 7 years after the completion of a transaction for legal reasons. After that time we will de-identify or destroy the personal information if we no longer need it.
15. We try to ensure that any personal information that we hold is accurate, complete and up to date. We do this by collecting information about a person as much as possible from the person. Another way that we do this is by correcting your personal information if it is incorrect and you request us to do so. When we become aware that the information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date we will correct that information, make a note on the file or in some cases delete it from our records.
16.There may be occasions where you wish to deal with us anonymously or using a pseudonym (i.e. a name, term or descriptor that is not your actual name). You may wish to deal with us in either of such manners where you want to make an inquiry as to the availability or price of a particular good or service that we offer, opening hours or for any other kind of inquiry for which your personal information is not required in order for us to respond meaningfully to your query. In these circumstances we will respond to your query without seeking to collect personal information about you. However, where it is impracticable for us to deal with you if you do not identify yourself, then we are not obliged to give you the option of dealing with us anonymously or using a pseudonym. We will tell you if we think that such a situation exists. If you choose not to provide us with personal information, then we may not be able to provide you with the good or service that you seek.
17. If you wish to:
then you may contact our Privacy Officer. Our Privacy Officer will take reasonable steps to respond to your inquiry or complaint and will do so promptly (usually within 14 to 30 days). Our Privacy Officer’s contact details are:
The Privacy Officer
Walker Stores Pty Ltd
PO Box 87
Prospect SA 5082
Facsimile: (08)8344 5788
Telephone: (08)8269 0229
18.The Privacy Act requires that you first make your complaint to us in writing and that we are then given requires that you first make your complaint to us in writing and that we are then given a reasonable time to respond to you (usually 30 days). If you make a complaint to our Privacy Officer but you are not satisfied with the response that you receive you can then make your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service of which we are a member. The Financial Ombudsman Service independently and impartially resolves disputes between customers and participating members on matters including privacy. Their contact details are:
Australian Financial Complaints Authority
GPO Box 3
Melbourne VIC 3001
Telephone: 1800 931 678
19. Alternatively you may contact the Commonwealth Privacy Commissioner with your complaint. The contact details are:
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 2999
Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: 1300 363 992
Fax: (02) 9284 9666
Walker Stores Pty Ltd ACN 007 973 962 in its capacity as trustee for the Walker Family Unit Trust (Walker Stores Pty Ltd also trades under the names inRent and inLease)